Making smart nutritional decisions when you’re at home is a bit easier than choosing the right thing to eat when you’re on the go. Thankfully, the same powerful mobile device that can streamline your professional and personal life can also help you keep track of what, and how, you’re eating on the go, as well as help you make better choices along the way. These 10 App Store offerings for the iPhone can help you keep track of your dietary decisions while you’re out and about, helping you maintain healthy eating habits even when you’re on a tight schedule.
- GoMeals – This free app will not only help you track the foods you’ve already eaten and the activities you’ve done that have burned calories, it will also help you locate restaurants and choose the healthiest items on the menu. In addition, diabetic users can take advantage of the glucose tracker, which allows you to record and view your numbers throughout the day.
- Don’t Eat That – If you’ve ever wondered what the ingredients label of the processed meals you eat on the go isn’t telling you, this $1.99 app is for you. Don’t Eat That will break food items down by their ingredients, letting you know if any of the contents are banned in other countries, known to be carcinogenic, allergenic, or to cause drug interactions, or are bad for children and pregnant women.
- Eco Chef 10 Minute Meals with Bryan Au – If you’re eating raw and organic on the go, this $1.99 app will provide you with a selection of recipes that can be prepared in 10 minutes or less. Quickly put together healthy items for your lunch break before you leave the house without extending your morning routine, ensuring that you won’t have to engage in the mad scramble for healthy restaurant food later.
- Healthy Food Finder – The Healthy Food Finder is a blessing to those with dietary allergies or food sensitivities. Lactose intolerant users can access dairy-free suggestions, athletes can find protein bars and drinks to restore electrolytes, gluten-sensitive eaters can avoid the problematic substance, and those with heart or digestive problems can access information about foods designed to ease those woes. Hit the supermarket quickly and easily, finding what you need without spending an entire evening reading labels to suss out problematic ingredients.
- Healthy Eating – Food as Preventive Medicine – With a new tip each day, this free app helps you learn about the medicinal properties of specific foods, allowing you to make the right choices for your body on a daily basis.
- VegOut – Vegetarian Restaurant Guide – Finding vegetarian-friendly food on the go can be a real pain, which is why this $2.99 app is so valuable. The largest international listing of vegetarian, vegan and vegetarian-friendly restaurants, VegOut will help you find guilt-free, healthy restaurants no matter where you are.
- Food Additives 2 – If part of your health regimen includes cutting out foods with dangerous additives, this $3.99 app is for you. Never ingest another thing you’re trying to avoid because of complicated ingredients labels; Food Additives 2 will let you know when an item is dangerous, safe, unsafe or unknown.
- Dirty Dozen – Plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables are essential to your body’s health, but many can also present some risks if they’re covered in pesticides. The free Dirty Dozen app helps you run into a market and snag the safest items with the lowest level of pesticides when you can’t find organic by letting you know the most commonly contaminated produce items.
- EatingWell Healthy in a Hurry – Need to whip something up quickly without sacrificing nutrition? This free app is made up of 200 of the fastest and healthiest recipes in the EatingWell database, helping you throw together gourmet meals that are both healthy and easily prepared.
- Fooducate – This free app won the first prize at the United States Surgeon General’s Healthy App Challenge, making it a trustworthy source of information about food, additives and how to make healthier alternative choices. Simply scan an item and obtain the results, then make your healthier purchases so you can get back to your busy life.
Finding healthy fare around you isn’t always easy, especially when you’re under time constraints. Using your iPhone to track down the nearest good-for-you restaurants or markets while you’re driving, however, is reckless and dangerous. You won’t be saving any time if you end up causing an accident or getting pulled over and ticketed for using a distracting device while operating your vehicle, so make sure that you plot your route before putting the keys in the ignition.